This Module has ten (10)units: Introduction and reflection on political leadership in African Context; Principles of Transformative Leadership; Political institutions and structures legal instruments and policy framework; Power, its Use and Abuse in Politics; Visioning, Agenda Setting and Action Planning in Political Leadership; Strategic Communication, Media Engagement and Public Speaking; Electioneering, Campaigning and Mobilization in Politics; Resources mobilization and fund-raising Conflict Management in Politics and Elections and Pillars and Best Practices for Successful Political Leadership.
Africa is endowed with rich natural and human resources yet its people continue to languish in poverty. The continent’s development is also hampered by widespread conflicts, mindset, power misuse and abuse, corruption, mismanagement of public resources, non-adherence to the international, continental and country specific constitutions and legislations. Indeed, most of the political and governance institutions and structures are gender insensitive and irresponsive. Indeed, Africa will not effectively implement Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) if women and youth remain under represented and excluded in political leadership and governance. This is largely attributed to the belief systems, socio- cultural and mindset that often discriminate against women and youth in political leadership and governance.
In this context, inclusive and participatory political institutions and structures are critical benchmarks to stability, good governance, equitable and sustainable development. This module addresses the glaring gaps in political leadership and governance in Africa, occasioned by a deficit in leadership, negative cultural beliefs and practices, exclusion, under representation of women and youth, lack of political good will and lip service to human rights and democratic principles.
This subsequently leads to poverty, stagnation and missed opportunities. As a result, Africa is plagued with myriad challenges including political and electoral conflicts, insecurity including food insecurity and instability.
The Module seeks to address the aforementioned challenges and unlock the potential of women and youth through capacity building, mindset transformation, mentorship and coaching, particularly of women and youth.
The Module targets current and aspiring political leaders in Africa, especially women and youth at all levels of governance; such as local/decentralized government, central government national parliament and political parties. The Module also targets other individuals, institutions and organizations that engage with politics and political governance.
At the end of the module, participants will:
• Reflect on the African context of politics and its implication on inclusive and transformative leadership in terms of participation and representation of women and youth;
• Demonstrate an understanding of the concept and principles of transformative leadership and its application in politics;
• Identify and analyze political institutions and structures, legal instruments and policy framework and their implications on participation and representation of women and youth in politics;
• Demonstrate understanding of the concept of power, its use, misuse and abuse in Politics;
• Appreciate the significance of visioning, agenda setting and action planning in Political leadership and governance;
• Demonstrate understanding of the importance of strategic communication, media engagement and public speaking; electioneering, campaigning and mobilization in Politics;
• Identify and analyze effective strategies and best practices for resource mobilization and fund-raising;
• Identify and analyze the political and/or electoral conflicts in Africa and effective intervention strategies;
• Identify and assess the critical pillars and best practices for good governance and successful political leadership.
This training was one of my greatest milestones in my career journey. I have attended leadership summits and other conferences but this one was one of a kind and it topped in my rating.The training granted me special gates to learn how I can not only be a leader but a transformational leader. I now understand the fact that empowerment of a woman is empowerment if the whole society of both men and women. And empowerment of a young person as me, is empowerment of generations of both old and young. Therefore as an empowered young woman, I am the strongest!
Today I write about the great impactful virtual transformative leadership training. I learnt a lot; more on my personal growth that directly impacts my transformation in my leadership journey. All facilitators were well equipped with knowledge and were well prepared for their presentations.Generally, I applaud the whole team who made the training possible and the great impact they left with me.
As an educator ACTIL taught me the skill of teaching from the heart. The power in telling personal stories and things people can relate to. I have realized the mode of training not just the head and hands but more importantly the heart has great power to change people's mindsets and hence their lives. For me, it transformed how I deliver education. So grateful always for the opportunity.